Friday, November 25, 2005

Hobobarista's EC Coverage.

As if there are more than four people who have ever read this blog- (P, R, R, N, M- maybe five of you), I'm still going to do a little link-n-sum of my personal Plan B brigade.
Basically, here's what's going on. On 11/01/05, Dan Savage wrote, in his column "Savage Love" of a dispute between Planned Parenthood and Target. It seems a pharmacist in a Fenton, MO Target refused to fill a 26 year old Planned Parenthood Patient's prescription. Target says that their policy is to allow pharmacists to refuse to fill emercency contraceptive prescriptions. I wrote an entry that day, threatening a boycott and linking to Target's website so readers could write to Target themselves.

I pondered this, and made a plan for further research. I went to the Planned Parenthood website, and found that a major point of contention between Target and Planned Parenthood is whether Target's policy allowing pharmacists to 'opt out' of filling prescriptions is standard for the industry.

I decided to investigate pharmacy procedures, other large chain pharmacies' policies, and the original incident in Fenton. So far, I've recieved replies from Brooks and Walgreens and CVS, while KMart gave me the brush-off. Today, I wrote about pharmacy procedures.

I've also written about the silent part of the debate behind this whole mess.

No comments: